Thursday, April 4, 2013

What I've Learned from Dorothea Lasky


I think Lasky’s success as a widely published writer comes with her ability to write about current trends in an endearing voice.  With topics of her poems ranging from zombies to love and to Sylvia Plath, Lasky’s poems are intriguing because of the postmodernist space they acquire.  They matter to today’s reader:  teacher, student, and every day observer.  The reason I buy her books is because she is very popular among my friends and she writes similarly to other poets I follow.  Her poems are longer than many poems I have been reading lately and I think that is a different and interesting endeavor to read.  Her ability to writer “in the now” is hugely important because that is what I strive to write about.  I think her success in chapbook, magazine, and journal publishing comes from her ability to hone in onto the contemporary popular culture while still writing beautiful and interesting poetry.  Perhaps that is what everyone is wanting to read right now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment